pushing back

Parents: Want your state-run school to return to local control? Memphis’ school board wants a new state law to allow that.

PHOTO: Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal
A student listens as parents and advocates protest the Achievement School District's charter matching process in 2015.

If parents and teachers can vote to convert their school into a charter school, shouldn’t they also be allowed a vote to take their charter school back?

That’s the argument for a proposal being discussed by Memphis school board members who want to accelerate the return of state-run charter schools to Shelby County Schools.

Several members discussed the idea Tuesday evening as the board worked on a legislative agenda for next year at the state Capitol.

Board members floated the possibility of a new state law that allows parents to drive decision-making on governance of underperforming charter schools, including a vote to return state-run schools back to the local district.

“It’s the parental choice they always talk about,” Board Member Teresa Jones said of state officials.

The push for a new law to convert charter schools into district schools perpetuates the district’s resistance of the state’s growing role in local schools. Shelby County Schools has used increasingly aggressive tactics to retain students and related funding, including reconfiguring schools, zoning students out of the Achievement School District’s jurisdiction and telling students they are assigned to district-run schools when they were actually zoned to state-run ones.

The state’s school improvement plan under the new federal education law gives the Achievement School District 10 years to get its schools off the state’s list of low-performing schools or be returned to the local district. The state law board members want would allow that to happen before that time period is up.

The existing state law to convert a school into a charter (not necessarily a state-run one) requires 60 percent of parents and teachers to vote for the conversion. Rodney Moore, the district’s top lawyer, said the legislative request could replicate that percentage. The district’s legal team is still working on finalizing the language.

“If we mirror that language it’s harder for them to say it’s an unfair process,” said Board Member Chris Caldwell.

A version of the legislative agenda is scheduled to go before the school board at its work session on Tuesday, Nov. 28. A vote would likely come the following week.


Aurora’s superintendent will get a contract extension

Aurora Public Schools Superintendent Rico Munn. (Photo by Andy Cross/The Denver Post)

The Aurora school board is offering superintendent Rico Munn a contract extension.

Marques Ivey, the school board president, made the announcement during Tuesday’s regular board meeting.

“The board of education believes we are headed in the right direction,” Ivey said. Munn can keep the district going in the right direction, he added.

The contract extension has not been approved yet. Munn said Tuesday night that it had been sent to his lawyer, but he had not had time to review it.

Munn took the leadership position in Aurora Public Schools in 2013. His current contract is set to expire at the end of June.

Munn indicated he intends to sign the new contract after he has time to review it. If he does so, district leaders expect the contract to be on the agenda of the board’s next meeting, April 3, for a first review, and then for a vote at the following meeting.

Details about the new offer, including the length of the extension or any salary increases, have not been made public.

Four of the seven members currently on the board were elected in November as part of a union-supported slate. Many voiced disapproval of some of the superintendent’s reform strategies such as his invitation to charter school network DSST to open in Aurora.

In their first major vote as a new board, the board also voted against the superintendent’s recommendation for the turnaround of an elementary school, signaling a disagreement with the district’s turnaround strategies.

But while several Aurora schools remain low performing, last year the district earned a high enough rating from the state to avoid a path toward state action.

cooling off

New York City charter leader Eva Moskowitz says Betsy DeVos is not ‘ready for prime time’

PHOTO: Chalkbeat
Success Academy CEO and founder Eva Moskowitz seemed to be cooling her support for U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

In New York City, Eva Moskowitz has been a lone voice of support for the controversial U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. But even Moskowitz appears to be cooling on the secretary following an embarrassing interview.

“I believe her heart is in the right place,” Moskowitz, founder and CEO of Success Academy, said of DeVos at an unrelated press conference. “But as the recent interviews indicate, I don’t believe she’s ready for primetime in terms of answering all of the complex questions that need to be answered on the topic of public education and choice.”

That is an apparent reference to DeVos’s roundly criticized appearance on 60 Minutes, which recently aired a 30-minute segment in which the secretary admits she hasn’t visited struggling schools in her tenure. Even advocates of school choice, DeVos’s signature issue, called her performance an “embarrassment,” and “Saturday Night Live” poked fun at her.  

Moskowitz’s comments are an about-face from when the education secretary was first appointed. While the rest of the New York City charter school community was mostly quiet after DeVos was tapped for the position, Moskowitz was the exception, tweeting that she was “thrilled.” She doubled-down on her support months later in an interview with Chalkbeat.

“I believe that education reform has to be a bipartisan issue,” she said.

During Monday’s press conference, which Success Academy officials called to push the city for more space for its growing network, Moskowitz also denied rumors, fueled by a tweet from AFT President Randi Weingarten, that Success officials had recently met with members of the Trump administration.

Shortly after the election, Moskowitz met with Trump amid speculation she was being considered for the education secretary position. This time around, she said it was “untrue” that any visits had taken place.

“You all know that a while back, I was asked to meet with the president-elect. I thought it was important to take his call,” she said. “I was troubled at the time by the Trump administration. I’m even more troubled now. And so, there has been no such meeting.”